A trade pack is any large object or bundle of goods that can be carried on a player’s back and sold for profit. The creation, transportation, and sale of trade packs makes up a large part of the gameplay in ArcheAge. While many different types of trade packs can be created or found within the world of Erenor, they all have three things in common: they are all difficult to transport, they can all be sold for profit, and they can all be stolen by other players.
Transporting Trade Packs
Because of their size and weight, trade packs are difficult to transport. A player can only carry one trade pack on their back at a time, taking up the same item slot that their glider would normally occupy. Carrying a trade pack also applies a debuff to the player carrying it, preventing them from teleporting or gliding, and slowing their move speed to a walk.
Many methods exist to expedite the process of transporting trade packs. Players may use public transportation (in the form of carriages and airships), ride on a mount (such as an Elk or a Donkey), or use a player-owned vehicle. Vehicles like the Farm Hauler and Merchant Crayer have the added benefit of containing additional trade pack storage, allowing the transport of multiple trade packs at a time.
Types of Trade Packs
There are multiple categories of trade packs in the game. Each category has its own uses, and can be sold to different traders. They are listed below:
- Specialty Trade Packs are the most common. Each one is associated with a specific zone and continent. Various traders will offer greater or lesser rewards for these trade packs, depending on which continent they come from and how frequently they have been traded.
- Fellowship Specialty Trade Packs can only be made at a Fellowship Plaza. These trade packs are worth more the further away they’re sold from where they were made.
- Construction Trade Packs are used to build houses, castles, and ships. They can also be sold to Shadow Merchants for silver, or broken down to recover 90% of the material used to make them.
- Relic Trade Packs are sunken treasure chests which can be recovered from the Arcadian Sea. They can be sold to Shadow Merchants for gold.
Selling Trade Packs
Each type of trade pack can be sold to one or more types of traders. These traders can be found at every major port on both continents, and each offers a different reward. They are listed below:
- Gold Traders buy Specialty Trade Packs and Fellowship Specialty Trade Packs made on the same continent. The amount of gold offered increases depending on how far away the trade pack was made, and decreases depending on how frequently that trade pack has been delivered to that trader.
- Gilda Star Traders buy Specialty Trade Packs and Fellowship Specialty Trade Packs from other continents. For Fellowship Specialties, the reward increases depending on how far away the trade pack was made. For both types of trade packs, the reward decreases depending on how frequently that trade pack has been delivered to that region. (Players may check current prices using the Trade Info function in their Vocation Menu)
- Resource Traders buy Specialty Trade Packs and Fellowship Trade Packs from other continents, and offer rare crafting materials in return. Each port's Resource Trader offers a different type of crafting material, listed below. The amount of crafting material offered increases depending on how far away the trade pack was made, and decreases depending on how frequently that trade pack has been delivered to that region. (Players may check current prices using the Trade Info function in their Vocation Menu)
- Traders in Two Crowns and Solis Headlands offer Charcoal Stabilizer
- Traders in Cinderstone Moor and Villanelle offer Rock Salt Stabilizer
- Traders in Solzreed Peninsula and Ynystere offer Crystal Stabilizer
- The Trader on Freedich Isle offers Dragon Essence Stabilizer
- Shadow Merchants buy Construction Trade Packs and Relic Trade Packs. Shadow Merchants only appear in PvP zones, and always offer the same price.
Stealing Trade Packs
Unlike most items in ArcheAge, trade packs can be stolen. Any player may pick up another player’s trade pack that is left on public land, and it is not considered a crime. Additionally, if a player is killed while carrying a trade pack, the pack will drop on the ground rather than appearing on their back when they respawn. This same concept applies to destroying vehicles that have trade packs in their storage.
Because trade packs can be stolen, it is common for players to be attacked and killed while attempting to transport trade packs for sale. It is generally accepted in the ArcheAge community that precautions should be taken to avoid this. Traveling in a group, only moving trade packs through PvP zones during peace time, and avoiding dangerous trade routes while at low level are all recommended ways to avoid untimely murder and theft.